From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Jan 2012 20:06:10 -0800
My daughter's laptop (a new Sony Vaio Z) is having problems with the
built-in Intel Centrion N 6230 wireless adaptor. The older Vaio Z that she
still has works fine, but the new one works fine for a while and then
becomes VERY slow with speeds of 14kbps or so.

I am considering getting her a USB network adaptor to circumvent the problem
and am looking for recommendations for such a device. Obviously, small size
is helpful. Newegg shows various brands including Intellinet, StarTech,
Roswill, Asus, and Encore. Problem is that reviews show all to have good and
bad ratings. Any feedback from the list would be appreciated.

If by chance anyone has a solution to the Centrino adaptor problems, that
would obviously be even better. So far I have tried new Intel drivers and
adjusting the networking settings with no improvement. It may work well for
several hours, and then drop speed for a long time also. Did try changing
the router frequency to no avail. Interestingly, the signal strength shows
as being very strong even when speed is slow. PING times to the router are
50 to 1000 ms or even timeout when it goes in the slow mode. The router is a
D-Link DIR_655 in case that may matter.

Thank you.

Peter Shkabara

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: