BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Gabriel Orgrease <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 2009 08:41:05 -0500
Mary Tegel wrote:
> Do any of you wear progressive lenses (PAL) for your work, especially
> field work as opposed to computer work or just reading? I'm thinking
> about focal range, clarity of focus, peripheral distortion etc. Have
> any of you with presbyopia found a really good lens? How about finding
> a good optician-- not one of these outfits that go for fashion? I am
> away from home (Boston) and just trashed my glasses. My daughter's dog
> tripped me (but that's another story). I'd appreciate hearing from
> anyone's who's succeeded in overcoming the issues.
Mary,

Not sure what help I can offer, I have other problems than yours with
glasses. In my case astigmatism. [My grandmother had astigmatism and
during WW2 she was put to work calibrating hairlines on binoculars... go
figure.]

The 'not fashion' part I can respond to -- if you can get a prescription
from an optometrist that is not connected to someone selling eyeglasses,
or at least one that is honest, then you can order inexpensive glasses
online. Which does not help much in your short term need but in the long
term then you can afford to order travel spares. Though make sure to ask
them to explain the scribbles on their prescription so that you can know
what you are ordering. I also understand that... heaven forbid...
Walmart is rated as good and inexpensive (though I have not tried them),
and may provide a quick turn around for both optometrist and eyeglasses
you while you are in Boston.

I lost my eyeglasses in Poland and it was 6 months before I got another
pair because I did not want to pay $300 for them... as I had got pushed
into on the last go round w/ the designer crowd and their upscale
frames. Our HMO pushed Kathy into a $500 pair. The last time we went in
I was irritated and we told them we wanted the special $30 pairs... and
they seem to be just fine, though our optometrist balked.

][<en