From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Nov 2009 11:26:57 -0700
the AM receiver on the TS2000 leaves a little to be desired.
But the transmit audio is really quite excellent.
with the ability to set your carrier level, modulation and power, you can
really taylor the audio and signal to whatever you want.
I've worked AM on the TS 2k quite allot on tenM, 20M and of course 80M as
well.
I've never used an amp on AM, but with those 3 AM mode adjustments, you
could really get the most out of any big amp.
AM depends on the swing of the transmitted signal...that is, the balance
between your carier level and the modulated peaks.
If you can strike the right balance, you can have a great sounding
station...without tubes and a huge audio transformer to punch the audio out.
though that said, some of the big guns on 10M AM with their all tube
transmitters and separate receivers, and big audio transformers feeding the
balanced modulator can really rip things up.
That, and you are allowed to go so wide on 10 that you can really improve
the frequency band width of the audio.
73
Colin, V A6BKX