From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Apr 2009 18:52:54 -0400
looks like a good setup. Really, the main thing with being inside is bands
like 10 meters, 12, can be a little tough inside since they're the most
likely to cause RFI though I do know people who get away with it. When the
bands are good any band will work from inside the trick is coming up with an
antenna that works and isn't giving up more than you have to. I've done it
on vacation really, even on 10 meters, though in that place the cable system
for the tv was junk so I went through it on all bands so I was on 2 through
75, I didn't care so long as no one was watching TV. That area has th have
the worst maintained cable TV cabling in the world though I went and checked
it out for myself and found so many problems it was discussing. Then I
stayed somewhere else in the same town, no RFI from me, but to me, so again
I checked things out and found it even worse, but really, if everything's
done right, you shouldn't have any trouble. You may have, or want to keep
the power down a little on some bands, but some sort of dipole setup is
probably the best bet, I have found in my portable setups they're not as
fussy to lack of RF ground, which you'll have to deal with on the second
floor, if it has to be inside you can pretty much run it how ever you need
to, and if you can show that's all the HF antenna is, maybe the option of
putting it outside might come up to you. I know someone who was doing that,
he had a wire antenna in his apartment and when the person in charge found
out "that's all it was" he let him put it outside since it wasn't going to
be real visible.