BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Hammarberg, Eric" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2010 23:35:44 -0500
I agree with ya John!!!

For instance, there is a huge problem with the Green Bldg Council who have been promising to develop a cradle to grave costs for bldg materials and assemblies so that the "REAL" cost of new materials can be fairly compared with restoration and preserved ones - no answer yet! "I" think the task has either been intentionally hampered by big biz or the calculations are impossible to make due to all the false subsidies in new materials, oil, etc so we may never know. It has been incredibly difficult for me lately with clients wanting to change 100s to even 1000s of windows thinking they will save a boat load of energy $$$ and then I suggest that they run the numbers and see the savings are not there. However they still "want" to change the windows cause the next guy up the decision chain is dead set. Adding to this is the fact that we have businesses to run and can't afford to chase business away. So far "I" have held the line but I know many others in my office haven't - we are somewhat at the whim of the client's knowledge and perseverance.

Then add in the "cost of money" and relative short life of building ownership, knowing a fully "upgraded" building is easier to rent and sell at better/higher prices.

Eric Hammarberg, Assoc. AIA

Vice President

Thornton Tomasetti

51 Madison Avenue