From:
Harvey Heagy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Oct 2009 10:37:18 -0400
In this message I am speaking of scanning for reading purposes not public
service band scanning.

My bank now offers ATM deposits without the use of envelopes or deposit
slips.  You simply insert all checks at one time into the receptacle for
checks, or all cash at once into a separate receptacle for cash.  Since it
also offers talking ATM's, I decided to try it to see if it could be done by
a blind person.  I found out happily that it could.  You can deposit checks,
cash or a combination thereof.  What further amazed me is that you don't
have to enter the deposit amount.  The ATM reads the cash, checks or
whatever and totals the deposit amount itself.  The check I deposited was
handwritten, and the machine read it perfectly.  My question is, if we can
have a bank ATM that can read handwritten checks perfectly, why can't we
have scanning software such as Kursweil or OpenBook that can also read
handwriting perfectly?
Harvey