BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 27 Aug 2011 08:56:56 -0400
7bit
From:
John Leeke <[log in to unmask]>
George writes:
> Does anyone have any experience with repainting historic steel sash,
> industrial-type, windows frames using an electro-static painting process?
> This is in an occupied building and I am looking to create a durable finish
> in a timely manner.

Just last month at the National Window Preservation Summit in Kentucky,
Jim Turner from Detroit, was demonstrating steel window preservation. He
was hand brushing paint that he described at "direct to metal" paint.
While it took time for the paint to dry, I would say that the work went
very expeditiously although we were not doing time trials.

"powder coating" or electro-static process must be done in the factory
using specialized equipment that is costly. Usually the work is jobbed
out to a company that specializes in it. The metal sash and frames would
have to be removed from the building and taken to the shop.

Everyone seems to think that "powder coating" is an indicator of very
durable paint. The term describes the method of the application of the
paint, but, as with any other application method, it is the paint itself
that provides the durability and there are many paint products with
varying characteristics. The method was developed as a high-speed
production method for factory-produced goods that are highly consistent
in their conditions. The refurbishing of older windows is fundamentally
different in that conditions that are highly variable. It is a process
of hand-craft creation that depends on the worker's knowledge and skill
and the ability to respond to the variable conditions.

John Leeke
www.HistoricHomeWorks.com