From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Dec 2011 12:56:41 -0500
Hi John,

There are numerous ways to transfer files to or from a remote computer.

The list is a long as my arm and I'm not a pygmy.

It ranges from USB drives and cable connections, to file sharing ,uploading to a file hosting service of some kind and remote desktop share or control.

All of them require some preparation on the remote computer to be effective.

A lot of them are free ,except of course hardware related.

You wrote:

"As I am away from home I don't have a network but was hoping to transfer

files with a memory stick."

If you're not at home ,how will you get the files on the USB stick?

Are both computers working and do both have an internet connection?

Some examples of remote desktop:

Built-in Win7   http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/magazine/ff404238.aspx

TeamViewer   http://www.teamviewer.com/en/index.aspx   or  http://www.teamviewer.com/en/download/index.aspx

LogMeIn  https://secure.logmein.com/products/free/

Microsoft SkyDrive or Google drive are just 2 of the many options that would include numerous free file hosting services.

You may have to decide on a method and use the one that's most convenient for you.

The list is just too long to expand on in this post.

Peter E.