Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2009 14:46:27 -0700

STUDY LINKS SEASONAL FLU VACCINE TO INCREASED RISK FOR SWINE FLU

Some 7,000 people took advantage of the free flu shots offered in Knox
County last weekend. But a new study suggests the vaccine could do
more harm than good.

Local health officials are reserving judgment for now.

"There's been some research done by some Canadian scientists and
doctors that might indicate that getting a seasonal flu shot will
increase your risk of getting H1N1 flu," Dr. Martha Buchanan, Medical
Director of the Knox County Health Department said.

The report has prompted concern and confusion around the country, but
it may be a bit soon. It hasn't been published, and it has yet to go
through the rigorous review process.

"We like to see things repeated, we like to see things verified, we
like to really look at those things carefully and make sure it's a
valid conclusion," Buchanan said.

Officials would also like to verify that it is a conclusion applicable
outside of Canada.

FULL ARTICLE:
http://www.wbir. com/news/ local/story. aspx?storyid= 100516&catid= 2

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.