From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:52:36 -0400
In Europe and Asia, medium-wave and long-wave stations often run more than
50 KW.  I think that this is one of the reasons why so many tuners in home
stereo systems are built for low sensitivity.  The highest powered AM
station I know of is BSKSA in Dhabbaya, Saudi Arabia, which runs 2 megawatts
on 1521 KHz.  In many parts of the world you can at least hear the
heterodyne.  I was able to copy its audio from Ocean City, NJ on a DX402
with WKWB Buffalo nulled out.

Ground wave AM propagation works very well over salt water, and quite well
over Midwest farmland.  Rocky terrain is quite bad compared to this.
73,
Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls
 www.facebook.com/lloyd.rasmussen