ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Sat, 27 Feb 2010 12:38:47 -0500
No you didn't waste any money.  The Stations are a marvelous way to meditate
on the death of Our Lord, and his suffering.  I think what you are doing is
a wonderful way to reach out to your Catholic brothers and sisters.
Considering there is still a lot of anti Catholic sentiment among
protestants even today.  As exhibited in the sad post below.  It also
exhibits the lack of understanding the stations are celebrated by many
protestant churches as well.  As the stations are a marvelous method for
focusing our attention on the suffering of our Lord to cleanse us from our
sins to say the stations are man made is ridiculous.  As they are based in
scripture.  These are they.  Though the 14 stations are written below, the 8
celebrated by protestants are expanded on to show how the meditation is
practiced.   In increasing numbers, even evangelical Protestants are
rediscovering the value of liturgically shaped communal and personal
devotional practices. As a result, there has been an increasing interest
from Protestants in the Stations of the Cross, especially as part of a Good
Friday service of worship. Some churches combine the Stations of the Cross
with a Tenebrae service, a Service of Darkness that climaxes the Services of
Holy Week before Easter Sunday. However, the Stations are used, they can
become a powerful, and for many innovative, means of worship.

Many Protestants prefer to use only eight Stations of the Cross, since those
are the main events recorded in the Gospel accounts about Jesus' journey.

Station 1:  Pilate Condemns Jesus to Die
Station 2:  Jesus Accepts His Cross
Station 3:  Simon Helps Carry the Cross
Station 4:  Jesus Speaks to the Women
Station 5:  Jesus Is Stripped of His Garments
Station 6:  Jesus Is Nailed to the Cross
Station 7:  Jesus Cares for His Mother
Station 8:  Jesus Dies on the Cross

However, some Protestants use an expanded form of the Stations to maintain
the traditional fourteen stations but still include only events with a
biblical basis.  This usually requires beginning the Stations with Jesus'
prayer in Gethsemane.

1. Jesus Prays Alone
2. Jesus is Arrested
3. The Sanhedrin Tries Jesus
4. Pilate Tries Jesus
5. Pilate Condemns Jesus to Die
6. Jesus Wears the Crown of Thorns
7. Jesus Carries His Cross
8. Simon Helps Carry the Cross
9. Jesus Speaks to the Women
10. Jesus Is Nailed to the Cross
11. Criminals Speak to Jesus
12. Jesus Cares for His Mother
13. Jesus Dies on the Cross
14. Jesus is Laid in the Tomb

In most cases, especially if these are used in connection with a Tenebrae
service, there is no mention of the Resurrection. There will be a place for
that on Sunday morning. But to preserve the journey as a commitment to God
in the darkness, the journey of the Stations should end at the cross and the
tomb.

Some Protestants might be temped to use this solemn occasion as an
opportunity to participate in Communion. However, this is not a proper use
of Eucharist. Traditionally, for good theological reasons, Eucharist,
Thanksgiving, is not offered on Good Friday. Eucharist is not primarily a
sad occasion to remember death, but a "Thanksgiving" (which is what the word
eucharist means) for grace, a celebration of God's salvation and
restoration. While Eucharist is often offered on Maundy Thursday because of
its association with the Last Supper and Passover, or on Easter Sunday as a
celebration of forgiveness and hope, Friday is not the time for celebration.
That moves too quickly and too easily to hope without first confessing our
hopelessness without God.
Station 1

Now Jesus stood before the governor; and the governor asked him, "Are you
the King of the Jews?" Jesus said, "You say so."  But when he was accused by
the chief priests and elders, he did not answer.  Then Pilate said to him,
"Do you not hear how many accusations they make against you?" But he gave
him no answer, not even to a single charge, so that the governor was greatly
amazed. . . . So when Pilate saw that he could do nothing, but rather that a
riot was beginning, he took some water and washed his hands before the
crowd, saying, "I am innocent of this man's blood; see to it yourselves." .
. . and after flogging Jesus, he handed him over to be crucified. (Matt
27:11-14, 24, 26b)

Jesus, I wish you would speak!  I wish you would proclaim who you are.  I
wish you would confront the disbelief of the crowds and the arrogant
cowardice of the powers that be. Surely someone will speak up for you!
Where are the lepers who were healed?  Where are the blind who can now see?
Where are all the people who ate the bread and fish on the hillside?  Where
are those who followed you so easily when they thought you would become King
of the Jews? Yet no one speaks.  No voice in the crowd comes to your
defense. You stand alone.

You stand before Pilate, the power of Rome.  Weakness stands before
strength.  And yet, Pilate, the ruthless enforcer for the Empire is not
really in control here.  He cannot make you confess.  He cannot quiet the
crowds. For all his power, he cannot find the courage to do what is right.
So he does what is safe.  He yields to the crowds for the sake of order.
Courage and strength do not always sit on thrones or judgment seats. Power
is not always in the hands of Empires.

I have been alone.  I have been falsely accused, and no one has spoken for
me.  I have been treated unfairly by those who could have used their power
for better purposes. I can understand some of your feelings as you stand
silently before Pilate and watch him proclaim his own innocence as he
condemns an innocent man.

But perhaps I have treated others unfairly as well.  Perhaps I have not
spoken up for others when they needed a voice.  There are those around me
who have been treated unjustly.  Have I always had the courage to come to
their defense?  There are those around me who feel alone and abandoned.
Have I always been there for them? O Lord, forgive me for not always being
who I should be.

I find it easy to condemn the moral cowardice of Pilate.  Have I ever given
in to pressure from others to take the easy path rather than the right path?
Have I ever chosen the easy path over the right path?

Jesus, I see in your silence the quiet strength that reveals a peace and a
resolve.  O Lord, help me deal with the unfairness of life without becoming
critical of others.  Help me to be sensitive to the pain and feelings of
others.  Give me the courage to do what is right without being swayed by the
demands of others.

Song or Music

Station 2:  Jesus Accepts His Cross

Then the soldiers of the governor took Jesus into the governor's
headquarters, and they gathered the whole cohort around him. They stripped
him and put a scarlet robe on him, and after twisting some thorns into a
crown, they put it on his head. They put a reed in his right hand and knelt
before him and mocked him, saying, "Hail, King of the Jews!"  They spat on
him, and took the reed and struck him on the head.  After mocking him, they
stripped him of the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him
away to crucify him. (Matthew 27:27-31)

Carrying the cross by himself, he went out to what is called The Place of
the Skull, which in Hebrew is called Golgotha. (John 19:17)

Jesus, I cringe at the pain of the thorns. But I am wounded far more deeply
at the humiliation and degradation you suffer, that the very thing you came
to offer us as a gift becomes a source of ridicule.  The crowds thought of a
King in terms of power.  But you came to be the kind of King who shepherds
his people, who takes responsibility for their wellbeing, whose principles
are faithfulness, justice, and righteousness (Isa 11:3-4). And yet, the
people are not ready for that kind of King.

I would like to think that I am ready to follow you who offer a Kingdom of
peace and love for one another.  But am I?  Am I willing to yield my ideas
of what the Kingdom should look like for the role of a servant?  Am I really
so willing to give up my human preoccupation with power and control and
accept a different kind of crown than I was expecting?

I see you accept the Cross in the midst of such mockery. You could have
refused. What more could they have done to you? Yet you begin this journey,
knowing full well where it will lead. I hear no words of complaint, no
protestations of innocence, no cursing the injustice. And yet I am so prone
to complain and whine about the most trivial things. Sometimes the things I
face in my life are more than trivial.  Sometimes the troubles of life bear
down on me. But I so easily fall into self-pity. I too often assume that I
am the only one who bears a cross, or that my cross is larger and heavier
than any others.

But I am not alone in that.  People all around me bear far more than I must
bear. You accepted your cross without self-pity. O Lord, forgive me for
forgetting that in my weakness I am driven to trust on you, and that in that
trust my weakness becomes your strength.  Forgive my attitudes of self-pity
that make me more repulsive than loving. I do not ask for crosses to bear.
But when they come, give me the strength to bear them as one who follows
your example.

Song or Music

Station 3:  Simon Helps Carry the Cross

They compelled a passer-by, who was coming in from the country, to carry his
cross; it was Simon of Cyrene, the father of Alexander and Rufus. (Mark
15:21)

Jesus, I can only imagine the awful weight of that cross you carry. It is
not just the weight of beams of wood that presses down on you. It is also
the weight of the burden you carry for those whom you have loved.  You came
to offer them life, and yet they return only death.

So I see you fall from the crushing weight of pain and grief.  I don't know
how many times you have fallen.  But I know that your physical strength is
failing.  The soldiers must recognize this as well, because they force a man
from the crowd to help you carry the cross the rest of the way to the place
where you will be crucified.  Perhaps they are afraid that you will die
before you make it to the top of the hill. The man of Cyrene was just a
bystander passing through on his way into town from the countryside.  And
yet he bears the weight of the cross to save your strength.

I would like to think that if I had been there I would have rushed from the
crowd and volunteered to carry that cross for you.  But would I have had the
courage to face the Roman soldiers and risk being forced to join you on a
cross?  Would I have really been so eager to share your cross if it meant
that I might have to die on one as well?  Would I have been willing to risk
everything to ease your suffering for a few moments by letting you know that
you were not alone?

Besides, I have my own crosses already.  I have as much as I can bear
without taking on the added burdens of others. And what would people think
of me if I were seen consorting with criminals and enemies of Rome in such a
public spectacle?  So instead of offering to help, I tried to become
invisible in the crowd.  And when the soldiers were looking around for
someone to press into service, I looked away and pretended not to notice
what was happening.

It is easy to pretend not to see the needs, the grief, and the suffering
around me every day.  It is easy to pretend not to hear the cries for help
that come in many forms from those among whom I walk every day.  It is easy
to convince myself that I am too busy, or too tired, or have too much on my
plate already to get involved in the lives of others.  There are simply too
many who need too much.

And yet I remember something that you said, something about taking up my own
cross and following you. You said something about becoming a servant of all,
of putting myself last and others first.  Is this what it means to be a
servant?  Jesus, are you showing me what it means to be that kind of
servant.  Is this man from Cyrene modeling for me the path of discipleship?

Must Jesus bear the cross alone
And all the world go free?
No, there's a cross for everyone
And there's a cross for me.

O Lord, forgive me for becoming so preoccupied with myself that I have
become deaf and blind to the grief and suffering of those around me.
Forgive me for my indifference.  Constantly remind me that I cannot love you
without loving others as well. Help me always remember that to be a follower
of yours means that I share in the burdens of others.  Lord, show me someone
whose cross I may help carry.

Song or Music

Station 4:  Jesus Speaks to the Women

A great number of the people followed him, and among them were women who
were beating their breasts and wailing for him.  But Jesus turned to them
and said, "Daughters of Jerusalem, do not weep for me, but weep for
yourselves and for your children.  For the days are surely coming when they
will say, 'Blessed are the barren, and the wombs that never bore, and the
breasts that never nursed.'  Then they will begin to say to the mountains,
'Fall on us'; and to the hills, 'Cover us.'  For if they do this when the
wood is green, what will happen when it is dry?" (Luke 23:27-31)

Jesus, as you struggle along the road toward that awful place of death, you
see a group of women among the crowd following you, already grieving at your
impending death.  You have heard this wailing many times before at funerals
and tragic events.  But now, they mourn for you.

You have always shown equal compassion to women you have encountered across
the years.  You have always seemed to understand the unique burdens that
women bear in a world and a culture that pushes them to the margins of
society. So here, as you bear the most unimaginable pain of body and heart,
you stop to speak to them. You are about to die, and yet you are more
concerned with others than with your own suffering and death.

But your words are strange and seem out of place on this road of sorrow.
They have a prophetic ring to them as if you were still trying to tell
people something important that they cannot quite grasp, or that perhaps
they do not really want to hear.  You speak of even darker days, of far
worse things to come upon the people.  Yet, how can things get worse?

I do remember that you often spoke of repentance, calling the people to turn
from their wicked ways and accept the coming of the Kingdom of God.
Sometimes you sounded like Isaiah or Jeremiah as they warned the people to
return to God in the face of impending catastrophe.  Many times you
criticized the religious leaders and those who thought themselves righteous,
warning that they would bring destruction upon the people and the land.  I
remember that once you even spoke of the destruction of the temple.  But no
one really believes that is going to happen.  God had always been with us,
and surely he will not let such a terrible thing happen to his people.

And yet, no one thought the exile would happen.  And here you are on the
path of sorrow stumbling toward your death.  No one thought that would
happen either. Maybe you understand more than we have realized.  Maybe you
see something that we have refused to believe. Maybe we are not as righteous
as we have thought.  Maybe we have rejected repentance, not because we did
not need it but because we needed it more than we dared admit.

Is that what you mean by these strange words?  Is it possible that your
death is only the beginning of things for which to weep? Is it possible that
our refusal to repent and change the way we live is causing these beginnings
of sorrow? Is our own sin and our refusal to confess it really the reason
you are on this path?

I would like to think that I have repented, that I have confessed my sins
and stand righteous before God. I would rather play the part of the
righteous follower. I would rather weep for you, Jesus.  I do not want to
weep for myself and the pain I bring to others because of my failures and
sin.  Yet, how long has it been since I have shed tears for my own failures,
for my own sins?  Have I really been honest enough with God about who I am?

O Lord, forgive my unwillingness to repent, to confess all that I am before
you.  Help me go beyond the repentance mouthed in words of false piety, to
sweep away all the facades of who I try so hard to be before others, and
recall who I really am inside.  Help me once again stand before God with a
bare and open heart. Help me not just to repent in words, but to put that
repentance into action in everything I am and do.  O Lord, give me the gift
of tears to weep for my own failures, for my sins, for the pain I bring to
others, and to live the fruits of repentance.

Song or Music

Station 5:  Jesus Is Stripped of His Garments

When the soldiers had crucified Jesus, they took his clothes and divided
them into four parts, one for each soldier. They also took his tunic; now
the tunic was seamless, woven in one piece from the top. So they said to one
another, "Let us not tear it, but cast lots for it to see who will get it."
This was to fulfill what the scripture says, "They divided my clothes among
themselves, and for my clothing they cast lots." And that is what the
soldiers did. (John 19:23-25a)

Can you trust in God when you feel most alone.

Song or Music

Station 6:  Jesus Is Nailed to the Cross

And they offered him wine mixed with myrrh; but he did not take it. And they
crucified him, and divided his clothes among them, casting lots to decide
what each should take. It was nine o'clock in the morning when they
crucified him. The inscription of the charge against him read, "The King of
the Jews." And with him they crucified two bandits, one on his right and one
on his left. Those who passed by derided him, shaking their heads and
saying, "Aha! You who would destroy the temple and build it in three days,
save yourself, and come down from the cross!"  In the same way the chief
priests, along with the scribes, were also mocking him among themselves and
saying, "He saved others; he cannot save himself. Let the Messiah, the King
of Israel, come down from the cross now, so that we may see and believe."
Those who were crucified with him also taunted him. (Mark 15:23-32)

For what are you willing to give your life?

Song or Music

Station 7:  Jesus Cares for His Mother

Meanwhile, standing near the cross of Jesus were his mother, and his
mother's sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. When Jesus saw
his mother and the disciple whom he loved standing beside her, he said to
his mother, "Woman, here is your son." Then he said to the disciple, "Here
is your mother." And from that hour the disciple took her into his own home.
(John 19:25B-27)

Can you accept the others that God gives you to love?

Song or Music

Station 8:  Jesus Dies on the Cross

From noon on, darkness came over the whole land until three in the
afternoon. And about three o'clock Jesus cried with a loud voice, "Eli, Eli,
lema sabachthani?" that is, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" When
some of the bystanders heard it, they said, "This man is calling for
Elijah." At once one of them ran and got a sponge, filled it with sour wine,
put it on a stick, and gave it to him to drink. But the others said, "Wait,
let us see whether Elijah will come to save him."  Then Jesus cried again
with a loud voice and breathed his last. At that moment the curtain of the
temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. The earth shook, and the rocks
were split.  The tombs also were opened, and many bodies of the saints who
had fallen asleep were raised. After his resurrection they came out of the
tombs and entered the holy city and appeared to many. Now when the centurion
and those with him, who were keeping watch over Jesus, saw the earthquake
and what took place, they were terrified and said, "Truly this man was God's
Son!" (Matthew 27:45-54).

Can you imagine how much God loves you?

Song or Music
The banners are courtesy of Maj. Robin Stephenson-Bratcher, Chaplain, USAF

-Dennis Bratcher, Copyright © 2009, Dennis Bratcher, All Rights Reserved
See Copyright and User Information Notice

 They were created originally to assist those who couldn't read to more
perfectly understand the path Christ traveled while on his way to make the
ultimate sacrifice for us.  I suggest you go to Holy scripture and mark each
station with the appropriate scriptural text.  Texts are above.  Criticism
of the devotional practices  of another Christian Faith shouldn't happen.
Particularly at this Lenten season.  This season should be given over to the
practice of charity.  Remembering the ultimate charitable act performed by
our Lord for us to enable us all to live with God forever, and giving us a
way to avoid the loss of heaven and the pain of hell.