From:
Angie Eshleman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Angie Eshleman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 May 2010 10:31:47 -0400

Hi everyone,

Here are the responses I received re: GF iphone app.  Thanks to everyone who responded!!

ORIGINAL POST:
Has anyone heard of the iphone application called "Is that Gluten Free" or have
experience using it?  Is it reputable and does the information seem correct?
Just wondering if it is a good resource for parents...

I have it and use it as a quick tool--->then when they are at the store they
will need to double check. Helps to get them looking for different foods.

http://glutenfreepost.com/?p=1462

I know the person that runs this website & blog and I think very highly of him - sometimes the info is a little fringy but for the most part this is an excellent website  especially to find out about new products

So I do not have an I phone  but I have heard a lot of good things about this App from my celiac support group members.
I will say that when the new labeling law came out I took all of the books that had lists of manufactured food off of my list of recommended resources because you can read the label to figure out if the food is GF However the support group members encouraged me to put them back on the list because they liked them especially when they first got diagnosed . They like to have the list so that they do not have to spend so much time reading labels at the grocery store However I still encourage them to read the label of every food they purchase to make sure it is still gluten-free because manufacturers will change ingredients from time to time
One nice thing is that This app is cheaper than any of the books currently available

yes I have heard of it and seen it on the apps store.
I do not have it but hear it is really good.

I have the free one I think.
Does not seem bad, but I don't use it much.  It dies give you product references which is a good thing.

I have had a lot of success using the app.  It is great if you shop at a mainstream store and want to know what is gluten free.  My only complaint is that I wish it had more brands.  A lot of the things that I go to look up aren't in the program.  But many are!  I always recommend it when I am teaching classes.  Is it perfect? No.  Is it really helpful?  Yes.  Is it accurate - it seems to be!

I've heard good things about the app but don't have an iPhone so haven't used it personally. We are giving away the latest iPhone (iPod touch and iPad) app on www.celiac-disease.com (scroll down on site to find post). It's a great app according to our site owner, who was able to test it personally. It's very different than the app you're inquiring about, but would likely be a fantastic tool for busy moms cooking gluten-free meals.

I use it all the time at the grocery store as you can search by category or brand.  Highly recommend it.

I was talking to a young lady that has it and LOVES it.  Wish I could try it out, but I have a android phone not an iphone.

I went into the Apple site.  Appears this App is getting great reviews.

Hi, I first got this app when I lived in MN & it was no help to me what so ever. All the brands and stores were not "mid west" friendly. But I recently moved to CO & the app is a god send for STARTING point. Example: what ice cream at safeway grocers; or hormel chilly.
I stress this: they necessarily are not Certified Gluten Free, many things on here I won't eat due to shared equipment & my family choses to stay away from "main stream" foods that have no gluten containing items... Does that make scence? Hope that helps. Also, I didn't pay for it, a friend of mine did as a gift for me & my family to try and help me out when I'm in a different place/different brands than I'm used to in a quick pinch.

While it is not all inclusive, it has been really helpful on a few trips to the store when you're standing there in the aisle asking yourself if something is safe or not.  My boys are 11 and 14 and have i-touches and they both have the app.  They love it!

I have this i phone app and I love it.  It was $5.99 whenh I bought it and there have been 2-3 updates that I added for free.  I have been using it for about 6 months.  I have not had any problems with misleading information.  It works great at the grocery store as well as when you might be a guest at someones house to determine if a product the hostess has used is gluten free.  Another great thing about this app is that it will take you to the manafactures web site.  It is very user friendly.

In my oponion as a celiac it is worth every bit of the $5.99 I paid and then some.

The reviews iTunes look a bit too good to me...

I have it on my ipod touch.  I have used it a few times.  It  seems to be
full of mostly local things, not many of the larger supermarket  brands like
Safeway, etc.  However I think it is worth the small price  since you can
add your own items to the list if you have the time.  It does  beat carrying
around paper lists.  I haven't had it long enough to know how  often it is
updated.  I don't think you can depend on it exclusively but I  have been
able to check on a couple of items.  Saved making a phone  call on my cell from
the store.

Angie Eshleman RD, CSP, LDN
Pediatric Dietitian
Food and Nutrition Services
Sinai Hospital-LifeBridge Health
office phone 410-601-0954
office fax 410-601-7906

THE INFORMATION CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE IS LEGALLY PRIVILEGED
AND CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION INTENDED FOR THE USE OF THE ADDRESSEE LISTED ABOVE.
This record has been disclosed in accordance with Subtitle 3 of
Title 4 of the Health-General Article of the Annotated Code of
Maryland.  Further disclosure of medical information contained
herein is prohibited.
If you are neither the intended recipient nor the individual
responsible for delivering this message to the intended
recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure of
patient information is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this
email in error, immediately notify us by telephone or return email.