From:
Kevin Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 Oct 2009 23:29:21 -0400
Hi.

I have this great TS-2000, and it works great on VHF and UHF.  Anything
below 144 Mhz is a problem.  I purchased an MFJ antenna that is supposed to
be used from 80 to 6 meters, but it didn't work well.  I could tune it with
no problem, but it didn't receive well.  The antenna has a ten to twelve
foot element that you extend, and there is a counter poise that you hook to
it.  I was able to receive some CW on 80 meters, but not much elsewhere.
The driven element is at a 45 degree angle, and the setup is made to latch
to a window.  I don't remember the model of the antenna.

I'm looking for something that I can use here in my apartment.  I'm on the
first floor, so I don't have a lot of height to work with.  The management
says they wouldn't mind having a small antenna set up outside, as long as it
can be maneuvered around for keeping up the landscape.

Here's my basic question.  What antenna would best suit my purposes?  I've
heard good reports on the Buddy Pole, and that may be the way to go.  It's
compact, can be easily moved from location to location, and is self
supporting.  I'd be curious about how well it works.  I've once used a
Butternut vertical with a Yaesu radio, and I was able to get DX contacts
into France and Russia.  I'd love to do that again with the Buddy Pole, but
I'll take what I can get.

If anybody knows of something that I could put up in the apartment, such a
loop around the ceiling, I'm happy to look at it.  The main thing is it
can't be too noticeable, and I'd like to be able to work some stations with
the setup.

Thanks for any help.

Kevin Minor