From:
Tina Kimmel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 17 May 2010 09:57:02 -0700
An American friend of mine now lives in Tanzania, and in fact just
brought me a beautiful beaded necklace she purchased from one of the
Masai women who now make and sell jewelry on the street in front of
her house there.

She tells me that the Masai, like most people in Africa, have had to
adjust/degrade their diet because of harsh economic conditions in
recent decades.

It's so creepy... she employed some young men, including Masai, to do
work around her house. She fed them lunch every day, including local
"high protein foods" such as peanut butter (!) and she said in a
matter of days she could see them developing muscles on their skinny
frames. So sad.

Tina