From:
Ken O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Sep 2009 19:25:21 -0500
We just did a half day workshop at the University of Texas on the topic of
preventing, stopping and preventing diabetes - especially type II.

The approach presented is likely full scale Paleo insofar as treating food
as medicine and doing nothing else was not the approach. In comparison to
modern people, the Paleos were active and we are sedentary. Paleos did not
run marathons but likely did high intensity exertion more akin to sprinters,
gymnasts, boxers, bodybuilders. They were bigger than us, their bone remains
showing larger skulls and evidence of much larger muscles.

Since publication of Evans and Rosenberg's landmark work showing that muscle
wasting of strength muscle is a major cause of aging, and sets the stage for
metabolic syndrome, consider research has demonstrated the efficacy of
strength training in stopping & reversing arthritis, osteoporosis, elevated
blood lipids, obesity, type II diabetes and other ailments. Those ailments
are unfortunately treated as stand-alone ailments rather than as a syndrome
of degenerate conditions rooted in poor diet and  sedentary lifestyle slowly
and cumulatively eroding one's health and well being. Of course, the
pharmaceutical monopoly would keep things as they are, selling meds to
maintain degenerative diseases to addict a public and make a fortune.

As a clinical coach, I've delighted in seeing myriad conditions improve with
regular strength training. Using food as a substitute for medicine is for
lazy people weak in character and resolve. If you want to prevent ailments
associated with muscle wasting, you need to work at it. Working at it is the
best way of overcoming living in contempt of the expectations of your
genetic code.

Best regards,

Ken O'Neill