BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Larry Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Feb 2010 01:27:00 -0500
I'm no Wobblie but I knew one. I am a union member and have been for twenty years and a few others before that. About thirty two years ago I met a character named Iberius Hacker, a Chicago community organizer, folk musician and general all around. He was a white Appalachian who was a preacher in the black baptist church and claimed to have once sold moonshine from his cop car in Chattanooga, met M L King in a jail in Alabama. He also said he toured with Utah Phillips and they were both wobblies. I met him in a small coffee house in Cincinnati after he left Chicago. I played harmonica with him and soon we formed a band. He knew about every blues, country, spiritual and union song you could mention. (Including Solidarity Forever, Joe Hill and Dark as a Dungeon.) He once had a heart attack on stage but kept playing. We played together off and on for a couple of years, but he went to an anti-Clan march in South Carolina and had another heart attack, that time fatal.
A few years later I met Utah Phillips and he said they were good friends. Now he's gone too.

Pie in the sky, that's a lie...
but I'll have some here and another beer...

Larry2