BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
deb bledsoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 2010 22:36:21 -0500
[log in to unmask] wrote:

> Humph!

Humph indeed! I tried to join the sheet metal workers local in the 80's
but they weren't taking women. Ditto for plumbers. One of my women did
make the plumber's apprentice program on the giant stadium job, but they
kept her running for parts and cleaning up the mess for 17 weeks and
then laid her off, along with a bunch of other oddballs (ethnic
minorities and women or both, usually).  So I just worked for the big
corporate builders and other small contractors as a sub, half-days.
(Inside joke, for you all who have never owned a small business, that
means 12 hours on, 12 hours off, 6 or 7 days a week.)

I salute Chrif's variety of life experience! No wonder you're so wise. I
used to watch the big freighters at Mackinaw with my Grampa and wonder
what it was like out there on the boat. Had only "Two Years Before the
Mast" to go by.

~deb