From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Apr 2010 16:25:38 -0600
One of the hang ups about the Icom 7000 is the stock hand microphone that
comes with the radio.  The gain is greatly reduced due to the literal
construction of the microphone itself.  I paid a little over 40 dollars to
have A E 5 B do his modification and my FM audio, according to my 2 meter
friends, is back to normal, and what I copy on sideband by listening to my
SSB phone signal on my R75 using headphones, is so vastly improved, it is
ridiculous.  So, in short, it was like getting a new microphone.  Bob is
fast about turning them around, too.  He got mine on a Friday and I got it
back on the next Tuesday.  Go to:

http://www.7000mic.com/

read about it, if you need to, and play the video to get an idea of what he
does to the microphone.  I have several friends in Denver with the IC 7000
and I have one friend with two radios.  He has shown me the difference
between the stock microphone and the modified one and it is amazingly
improved.  It was under driven on FM and way over driven on sideband.  The
microphone was made, you guessed it, in China.

Phil.
K0NX