From:
Danny Dyer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jan 2010 12:27:25 -0500
Hi Butch, 02AT and 202series are  Pretty much the same,even both were
rumored to have been made by Icom.  there were at least, Two, 2, Noteable
differences in the serieses.
First, the 202 series, _______Will ________Not, under any circumstance,
according to those who've tried and tried to modify them, either receive or
transmit outside of the prescribed two meter or seventy CM bands, and I've
_______never found info from ____Anyone Who's Successfully_ modified one of
that series to do so_ *If you know of someone, **Please let me know_!
Secondly, .
, the 02AT series had no selector knob/(except for on the commercial
version!  Where There _Is One!_)  I know that because in 1992, I obtained
one of the 02at commercial versions,/(which I wasn't told was a commercial
version,)from a ham friend, and it had one.  I later had to sell
it/(financial hard times, you know the drill, )  but later, remembering
favorably, the programmable ten channels with WX band availability in a
friendly box with selector knob, needing an HT, and assuming that all 02AT
series radios were configured similarly,  _With a selector knob,
Went searching for one, and I  had one given to me, also swapped for, and
bought,02ats, in search of another one that had the selector knob, but, of
course, didn't ever find one, for probably ten years, and as a result, began
to wonder if I was losing it, in my ham radio mind?  and was told by several
folks who were "in the know" that "there was no such thing as an 02at with a
selector knob"
*But I knew that somewhere there was, I even got back in touch with the
fellow from whom I'd gotten mine, and he said that it had been in fact an
02at, and of course, we _Both Knew That Ours Had____ Had___ a selector
knob!!
In fact, I called radio stores, asked questions on ham forums, and was told
again and again by many many _experts? /Who meant well, but just hadn't
heard of or seen the little known truth, that was _____Finally revealed to
me when I ran across a fellow who knew about the commercial version and
reassured me that I ___Wasn't losing it in a ham radio fog, about which I'd
really begun to wonder!
***There ***Are, 02at&04AT radios that ***Do, *Have, *Selector *Knobs!  *But
*Only *The *Commercial *Versions *Are *Thus *Fitted!!!!!!  And some day I
may find another one.  HTH, Danny.