From:
Steve Forst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Nov 2009 09:01:39 -0500
Kevin,

I think you can do this good or do it cheap.  Not sure you can do both.  AGM
is a good choice for  an indoor battery.  No fumes, no leakage.   The
electrolyte is  held  in fiberglass mats inside the battery.   Even if the
case is punctured, no leakage.  Stay away from traditional deep cycle lead
acid batteries for indoor use.  These can leak or explode since they produce
hydrogen gas.

You'll need something to charge the battery and possibly switch over to  the
battery automatically  if power fails.   West Mountain Radio has a nice
device that  keeps the battery charged all the time from your station's
power supply and automatically switches  to the battery when the power goes
off.   About $125.

You will need an  inverter to power the pc from the battery.   These aren't
very efficient when changing over from 12 vdc to 120 vac and   the bigger
the battery you have, the better.  Cheaper inverters don't produce a true
sine wave on the ac output and some ac  equipment won't work well.  They can
also produce hash.   Be sure your system likes the inverter you choose.

Battery size is maybe the most important factor.   You need to figure how
long the station will need to run on battery power,  how much of that time
will be rx and how much tx,  how many amps are drawn in rx and tx, how many
amps the inverter/pc will draw,  add it all up, add some margin for headroom
and then buy a battery a good bit larger then you think you will need.

Good luck, Steve KW3A