From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 17:30:15 -0600
I've been doing a lot of listening since I got the G5RV up at about 35 feet
in the center.  I've already made mention how the R7 seems, in every case,
from 40 through at least 17 meters, to receive better.  Of course, the G5RV
isn't up all that high and my R7 vertical is on a 3 foot tripod on my roof
so the base of the vertical is right at 18 feet above ground.  I run other
verticals right at that same spot but the R7 has proven over the years to be
better than any other verticals I've tried.  At any rate, DX is always
louder using the R7 vertical on every band I try compared to the G5RV.
However, I haven't hooked up the tuner to the G5RV yet.  I'm just comparing
signals without either antenna going through the tuner.  I do a lot of
tuning of short wave bands at various times and a lot of DX playing around
on the A M broadcast band and there, on the broadcast band I mean, the G5RV
wire is way better due to it being a lot closer in wave length than a
trapped vertical.  This afternoon at 16 30 local, I was tuning 17 meters
just for the fun of it.  I heard lots of side band activity during the CQ WW
side band contest on 15 meters so I know, from passed experience working a
lot of DX on 17 meters, the two bands often open together.  On the other
hand, I've seen 17 meters open when 15 meters is cold stone dead and I've
known this by checking the beacons on both bands or also listening to WWVH
in Hawaii on 15 MHz.  Anyhow, just this afternoon, a KP4 in Puerto Rico was
on 18.135 running JA stations.  I could hear the JA pile up and it was knee
deep to an elephant, which is to say, deep with dozens of Japanese stations
calling.  I played with the two antennas since I now had southeast and
northwest DX to compare.  The vertical still heard better but I say again,
the G5RV isn't on the tuner yet.  That will help some, of course.  I mostly
got the G5RV for low band operations, meaning, for 80 and 75 meters.

Phil.