From:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Colin McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2009 11:41:10 -0600
the synth in the IC7000 will only offer frequency, mode and S meter
readings.
menus and sub menus aren't spoken, and neither are other functions.
in the ts2000, all menus and submenus are verbalized to one extent or
another.  The radio also offers high and low beep tones to indicate the
status of a particular function...also, the main functions such as mike gain
and power don't wrap, that is, once you are at the lower or upper extent of
the adjustment, you can't go any further...and there is an indicating beep
when you have reached the limit.
also, all adjustments are done with a detented function knob so you can
count clicks up or down...the IC7000 uses the free flowing vfo for most
adjustments, and though it has a lever to make it into a detented control,
the clicks don't always correspond with incrimental adjustments.  For
instance, when adjusting RF power on the ts2000, in HF mode, each click of
the function knob will raise or lower the power by 1 watt...on VHF/UHF it
changes by 5 watts.  The same is true with mike gain, each click gives one
percent.
The ic7000 may have some of these functions that correspond directly to one
click of the vfo, but not always.
that said, the receive and transmit audio on the 7000 is very similar to
that of the 746 with the trademark sound of the icom speech processer.
also, the IC7000 is very small compared with the ts2000, and has a removable
face plate for easier installation senarios in a mobile application.
The 7000 also comes with onboard voice recorder and playback...with one
touch keys for recorded messages....great for contests and so on where you
can press one button and send a recurring message.
The ts2000 can have an extra module added for this.
the comparison is really apples to oranges with these two radios.
73
Colin, V A6BKX