From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 18 May 2009 22:05:24 -0400
I don't own either rig, but I can tell you a few things about the
differences.

The TS2000 includes a second receiver, optimized for VHF use.  It is a
moderately large unit, but you should look up the dimensions.

The TS480 AT (antenna tuner 100-watt model) and HX (200-watt model without
antenna tuner) is for 160 through 6 meters on CW, SSB, AM, FM and digital
modes.  The hardware part of the 480 looked to me like a large brick with
connectors on both ends, heat sinks, etc.  It is very compact, and is
operated through a separate control head.  The control head and its cable
can be placed at a convenient location while the rig might be up on a shelf
or something.  The mike has to plug directly into the 480 body, though, I
think.

With the voice guidance units put into them, the 480 gives you a bit more
feedback than the 2000, but people are happy with both rigs.  I think you
can transmit higher--fidelity audio with the 2000.  After looking at the
architecture of the 480 and its size, I went with the Yaesu FT-950, which
has no options for speech boards but gives me enough feedback to have a lot
of fun.  If you work some CW with the 480, you probably should get one of
the CW filters for it, because audio-only filtering can result in pumping of
one signal by another that is a KHz away.

Hope this helps, and 73.

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls