Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Wed, 28 Oct 2009 16:58:27 -0400
7bit
From:
Kevin Minor <[log in to unmask]>
Hi.

I know these two things don't seem related, but I'm just curious.

When I got the TM-V71A, I set it up for Echo Link.  I followed the
instructions.  It's pretty straight forward, except for one thing.
Nothing's mentioned about which band is used.  In my case, it's the B band
that works.  I figured that was how the radio was set up, and I was happy
with this setup, until today.

This morning, just for fun, I turned off Echo Link on the radio, and I
activated the weather alert function in the radio.  A few days ago, while
tinkering with the menus, I discovered that you could set up different
weather channels for each band, and there are individual alert settings in
the menu system for each band.  I'm not sure why this was done, but I
figured that I would set band A as the alert band.  I eagerly listened to
the NOAA channel on my HT, and I heard the weekly test tone broadcast.  The
Kenwood didn't do anything.

The Echo Link experience and my weather alert experiment got me curious.  Do
they both use the same band?  I'll set the weather alert menu option for the
B band next week and see what happens.  I figured I'd ask here to see if
either the instruction manual isn't clear on this, or if there is a menu
setting that controls what band is used for either or both of these
features.

Speaking of menus and settings, I've run into an interesting thing that
happens.  I turn the weather alert function on in the radio, and when I
check it a few days later it has turned itself off.  To answer a question, I
made sure it was on today for the test broadcast.  I don't think it's a
problem with the radio, because I'm not noticing any other menu settings
changing.

Thanks in advance for any information that you have.  These things aren't
critical to me using the radio.  Echo Link's working great, and it's not my
primary weather radio.  I did call Kenwood about this, and the person I got
looked at the instruction manual and wasn't sure how to answer my questions.
He's going to do further research, and he'll email me with the answers to my
questions.  I'll let the list know what I learn.  I figured I'd ask here to
see what you folks know.

Have a great day, and don't work too hard.

Kevin Minor