Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sat, 5 Sep 2009 12:45:18 -0400
7bit
From:
Lloyd Rasmussen <[log in to unmask]>
AT&T and T/Mobile use a transmission format called Time Division Multiple
Access (TDMA) and their audio is coded using an algorithm called GSM
(General System Mobile).  This is the dominant system outside the U.S.  NLS
digital talking books use Extended Adaptive Multirate Wideband coding, which
is a greatly expanded version of GSM.

Sprint and Verizon use Code Division Multiple Access (CDMA) and a different
speech coding algorithm.  Qualcomm owns many of the patents for this system,
and it is not common outside the U.S.  Some of the prepaid plans, such as
Virgin Mobile, use Sprint's network and technology.

Lloyd Rasmussen, W3IUU, Kensington, Maryland
Home:  http://lras.home.sprynet.com
Work:  http://www.loc.gov/nls