Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:21:58 -0400
7bit
From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
You can transmit on the main and sub side, I guess that's what you're
asking.
The memories are all mixed, just one set of memories but on the sub side of
the radio, you can only receive or transmit on 2 meters and 440, so it will
only cover those memories if you're on the sub side. The main one will cover
everything, what I did was saved the lower 100 channels in memory for
UHF/VHF, or maybe lower 200 I'll have to check, and then use the last 100 or
so memories for the few HF frequencies I need in memory, net frequencies and
the places I hang around and a few others of interest. That's how I did it.
It's not confusing at all that way.
As for interfacing with the computer, you can do it with a straight through
DB9F to DB9F serial cable, to set memories and functions on the radio you
don't need the rig blaster. You do need the rig blaster or similar interface
if you want to do PSK31, or any digital mode using the PC sound card. Just
to control the radio you don't though though to set the memories I'd get the
Kenwood software off their site since I don't know how if at all, HRD works
with memories. Also, if you want to remotely control your radio with HRD,
which is about the only reason I'd ever use it, you'd need a audio
interface, rigblaster or the like, to get the audio levels and keying so you
can get your voice from the computer to the radio. If you're not using the
sound card for anything like that though, you don't need any of those
interfaces at all.