EASI Archives

EASI@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"Wood, Ellen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Dec 2005 10:06:26 -0500
Do any of you have experience with speech enabling software such as
BrowseAloud or ReadSpeaker? These are becoming more widely used for UK and
European government websites, to provide enhanced accessibility for users
with cognitive disabilities, low vision, low literacy, and for non-native
speakers (English as a second language, etc). Maine State is considering
implementation of this type of software for our state government portal, and
I'm trying to gather further information regarding the value/benefit to the
public. We've tested both products here, so I'm not looking for product
critiques, but rather, I'm looking for feedback as far as whether the
software is of actual benefit to those target audiences and whether they are
likely to use it.

I have a page on the State Library page about BrowseAloud, although I still
want to add directions in an audio form and preferably a small video to help
people with cognitive disabilities download the plug-in. We know downloading
"something" in itself can the issue.
http://www.maine.gov/msl/accessibility/browsealoud.htm

Thanks.

Ellen