From:
Sue Hersom <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sue Hersom <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 2009 10:43:14 -0400

My girlfriend and I just returned from the Gluten-Free Culinary Summit that
was held in Denver.  I wanted to share what restaurants we ate in during our
four days there.

We did splurge at Fogo de Chao (Brazilian) - their lunch is $24.50, which is a
lot cheaper than their dinner, so we could afford it.  The caramelized bananas,
cheese bread, mashed potatoes and fried polenta squares were delectable!
The salad bar was A+, and they kept coming to the table with carved meats.
Most everything is gluten-free.

We split a few dishes at Ling & Louie’s (Chinese), and also enjoyed their
Molten Chocolate Volcano dessert!

If you are ever in Denver, please go to the Farmer’s Market held at the Cherry
Creek Plaza on Saturdays.  The GF Bake Shoppe has a booth there and their
pepperoni and BBQ chicken pizza pockets are absolutely delicious.  They are
like frozen Hot Pockets and are so great for a quick lunch or dinner.  We also
bought a tub of their frozen chocolate chip cookie dough.

We shared a ribs/chicken dish at Big Papa’s BBQ.  Most everything is gluten-
free on the menu.  It wasn't one of our best meals, but at least we had g-f
BBQ!

We went to the Rio Grande (Mexican) for dinner to have their Nachos (I read
about them on a blog).  I wanted to let you know that the chips they use in
their Nachos have cross-contact in their fryers with floured products AND this
Nachos dish is on their gluten-free menu.  We talked to the manager about
how wrong this was, and he said that they talked with nurses and that it
depended on how “sensitive” we were to gluten.  I guess we were sort of
stunned, but he was nice enough to agree to make the chips from scratch in a
pan, but we thought it better to eat elsewhere.  We headed over to Hacienda
Colorado (also Mexican) instead and shared an order of their chicken fajitas.
Delicious!

We went to dinner at Pei Wei's and split a sweet and sour chicken dish.  There
are no Pei Wei's in the Bay Area in California, so it is a special treat.

We shared blueberry pancakes, hash browns and bacon at Snooze, went to
Panzano’s to pick up a couple of freshly made g-f blueberry muffins and then
to Deby’s to pick up some of her bakery chocolate cake, egg rolls and pizza
rolls to bring back to the Bay Area.  We shared one last lunch at Beau Jo’s.
We always order their stuffed mushrooms and garlic cheese bread.  The
melted cheese on their mushrooms are just too good to even describe!  This
year, we bought one of their g-f sandwiches to go to enjoy on the plane
coming home.

Yes, this sounds like all we did was eat, and we should have gained 10
pounds!  However, we usually split an entrée so we don’t eat as much as it
sounds, and it is also a lot cheaper.

Hope this helps anyone who is traveling to Denver!

Sue