From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Aug 2008 07:18:01 -0500
Tom, if you purchase a brand-name computer, in all likelihood it will not be upgradeable.  The motherboard will have a proprietary
form factor and the case will not be standard.  They cut corners in flexibility (not necessarily quality) in order to save money and
offer a cheaper price.  The power supply may be just big enough for the system, and the case have no room for a bigger one.

The issue of quality is a wash.  The purchased computer will have an Intel or AMD processor, and so will yours.  Same type of thing
for hard drives.  Other components such as power supply may be not as good, but you won't be able to match the price of the
proprietary computer.  You will get pretty much what you pay for.  The purchased computer will probably be cheaper - built-in sound
and video which are cheaper, but not as easily modified.  You can't save 20% by building your own.  It will probably cost 20% more
for the same functionality.  Do your homework - go to NewEgg and check the prices of the components.

Forget about the Quad processor.  The motherboards are not ready for these.  Mine is a headache - it crashes several times a day.
Something like an E8400 will be fine.

You will only use about 3GB of ram if you choose a 32 bit operating system.  If you get a 64 bit o.s., then some of your current
(and future) software may not run.  For example, Windows Home Server released from Microsoft months ago would not work properly with
my 64 bit laptop!  They just released a patch last week!

If you don't play games, and only do occasional editing, don't spend a lot on a video card.  A cheaper one will do fine.  (I mean in
the $100 - $200 range.)

You are correct about the over-clocked graphics.  It is a common practice.

Okay, now since this is PCBUILD, I'll tell you what I would do if I were you and I could afford it.  Buy a really good case and
power supply.  Won't be cheap, but they will last through many upgrades.  By a monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc. that you have seen and
tried and like - these, too, can last through many upgrades.  Buy a good DVD burner, but not necessarily the best - a faster one
will save time burning videos, but the fastest will cost more.  In my experience, they don't last long anyway.  Purchase internal
components to suit your budget.  You can upgrade them later if you want too.

HTH

Dean Kukral