From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Jul 2011 17:05:46 -0400
Subject: Re: Questions for Ray
From: Ben Liberman <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011

> >What is a nontheist? Is this latest politically correct term for an atheist?
> >
> >Marilyn

<snip>

> The rules of many religious systems, when followed, promote a healthier society
> and thus a non-theist can assert they have some positive value for society by
> reducing the level of social violence.

 [log in to unmask]      Ben Liberman
Very well and succinctly put, Ben. If I could add one elaboration: It's not just the rules of the religious groups that can have a positive effect on their members. It is also the institutions they create and the practices they follow that have the potential to engender genuine feelings of positive well-being: a sense of belonging to a welcoming and exclusive group, sharing rituals, engaging in musical activity, the comfort of being able to share meaningful experiences, opportunities to be generous (without the risk of being exploited), a role for all ages, comfort in times of stress (especially bereavement), justification for behaviour condemned by others outside the group, comforting explanations for the unknown and unknowable - you can add to the list.

It is highly likely there are modules (in the evolutionary psychology sense) which mean that religions - from paganism onwards - satisfy many of the needs of the Homo sapiens mind.

Beats me how atheists and non-theists (like me) get through life cheerfully :-)

Keith