From:
"Cooley, Brad" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 May 2010 16:40:41 -0400
Wayne/Ron,

I agree with both of your comments.  It is interesting though that they wanted the milk at all given they came across a cow and calf (ie, the milk did not provide much in terms of calories compared to all the meat).  Because of their climate and the lack of reliable supplies of water, consuming the milk and "rumen juice" was a "normal" part of their strategy to maximize sources of water.

I do not personally subscribe to milk being acceptable as part of a healthy paleo diet, but it is clear from this observation that it did occur.  I guess it would be similar to occasional consumption of grain from a paleo-perspective.  In other words, it did not happen often enough to have a significant impact.

Brad