From:
"Cooley, Brad" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 May 2010 13:58:00 -0400
I am reading The Old Way by Elizabeth Marshall Thomas, which is about the Kung San.  I have only gotten through the first few chapters, but wanted to share an anecdote regarding milk consumption.

This evidently occurred in the 50’s when the Kung San were still living their traditional HG lifestyle.  According to the book’s author who witnessed this, several hunters came across a freshly killed gemsbock and its calf, which had been partially eaten by a leopard.  The hunters expressed what milk was still in the udders into their hands and drank it.  The author also tried it noting that it had a gamey and salty taste compared to cow’s milk.  The hunters then cut open the stomach, removed the rumen, and squeezed out the fluid from the rumen into their mouths.  This was a normal strategy to obtain water because of the arid climate.

I am not trying to stir up yet another debate whether milk consumption is paleo.  I thought it might be of interest to the list as I have read many, many books regarding HGs and this is the first account I have encountered regarding consumption of milk.

Brad