From:
Ron Hoggan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jan 2010 04:17:13 -0800
Hi Jim,
Thanks for bringing that up. V.Stefansson wrote about the Inuit feeding
lean meat to the dogs while consuming the fatty cuts and fatty organs.
Talk to anyone who has worked/lived outside in very cold weather for
extended periods. They will tell you that you need fats to stay warm,
not carbs. Rabbit starvation was taught when I was in school, as some
pioneers succumbed to it in the Peace River area of northern BC and
Alberta, and they were sometimes limited to only rabbit meat due to
weather conditions. We must eat some carbohydrates or fats for energy
and fats are preferable when battling cold weather.  Our modern penchant
for lean meat comes, at least in part, from the erroneous belief that
fatty plaques on blood vessel walls come from eating fats. This
unfortunate paradigm leads to the poor medical advice to cut back on fat
consumption when patients show either signs of claudication of blood
vessels or blood lipid profiles that are mildly suggestive of cardio risk.
Best Wishes,
Ron

--
PK