From:
Kirk Kleinschmidt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Sep 2009 11:30:59 -0700
I'm getting on the tail end of this discussion, so pardon me if this has previously been covered...

My experience with vitamin D supplements has been nothing short of the "fountain of Youth."

For the past 10 years I have been wrangling with a bunch of interconnected health problems, including diabetes, sleep apnea, depression, obesity, etc. Ya know -- the usual! I was also plagued by chronic bronchitis, sinus infections and cellulitis infections in my lower legs. A year ago my primary doc suggested that I have my vitamin D levels checked...and they were a rather low 17. I started taking 10,000 IU of dry Vitamin D3 per day, and my levels rebounded -- 17, 23, 44 and now 55. In the past year I have had exactly ZERO bouts of ANY malady listed above. Zip. Nothin' Nada. Not even a sniffle!

I only wish that I would have figured this out 10 years ago. It litertally would have saved my marriage, my business and my health.

I have tried various vitamin regimens over the years, and nothing (other than low-carb / paleo) has ever had much or even any discernible effect -- except vitamin D. I put She Who Must Be Obeyed on it too, and she has had the same result -- no illness of any kind.

I can't speak for the Norwegian Bachelor Farmers, but for semi-sedentary, fat white guys, vitamin D is where it's at!

And don't be lulled into the "taking more than 1,000 to 2,000 IU/day is bad for you" BS. The doctors and scientists who specialize in vitamin D research say that's not enough even for a toddler! You can't create toxicity with vitamin D unless you eat three months' worth a day for several weeks (unless you have a rare genetic disorder that causes you to already overproduce vitamin D internally, which you'd likely already know). Just make sure you get the "25 hydroxy" blood test and NOT THE OTHER ONE.

Good luck!

--Kirk in MN

re: