BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS Archives

BULLAMANKA-PINHEADS@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 26 Apr 2010 21:34:29 -0700
Because folks have shared childhood learning experiences, here's one of
mine (although I did have similar epiphanies and clandestine
wanderings and borrowings -- none of which involved kitchen stuff--
which might explain how enlightening this particular experience was.

So, in the beginning high school, I was drooling at the prospect of
electives after eight years of Catholic school. I signed up for shop.
The high school counsellor/advisor changed it to typing. And I thought
she was my friend. Girls don't take shop and girls need to know how to
type.

Our typing teacher resembled the front end of some of the cars that
were in vogue-- huge conical frontality-- and it was boring, even as
she was not a bad person.  This was only partially mitigated by the
intriguing discovery that typewriter keys had No Letters, Symbols or
Numbers. Remember, it was called touch-typing. Miss Bumper strolled
around swatting us with her ruler and told us we'd fail as secretaries
if we did not learn how to type. I flunked on purpose (who wanted to
be a secretary especially if it entailed armoring our body parts?).
This ought to explain my typograghical errors. They are knot
intenshunal and I mean no disrespect.

Signed unrepentant,

Mary V

Mary Tegel