Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Mar 2011 22:03:36 -0800
Back in 1998 when I first got broadband, there were no consumer grade
routers available. They were just starting to appear as small
business routers, and they were pretty expensive. So I took an old
486DX66 computer, and installed NT4 workstation, and a  couple of ISA
10Mbps NICS. One NIC connected to the cable modem = WAN, and one
connected to  my LAN. I used fixed IP addressing on my LAN and
assigned this NIC as my gateway. This setup would work for a Domain
or Workgroup.

I ran Black Ice as a software firewall on the 486, and this was my
LAN /firewall router, and it worked very well indeed. David Gillett
described this kind of setup in one of his posts. But now routers are
cheap, and ubiquitous, and this sort of setup would be a waste of electricity.

High end mother boards often come with dual NICS so that those who
want to connect to a home network, and a gaming network, like a LAN
party, can do so. People see those dual NICs, and think they can use
both of them to increase their ISP speeds, or their LAN transfer
speeds. List Moderator David Gillett did an excellent job of
explaining why this won't work.

You can, at considerable expense, buy a commercial router that will
allow you to plug two different ISPs into it...for example a cable
modem, and a DSL modem. The purpose of this is if one network goes
down, the other one seamlessly takes over. List Moderator Bill Cohane
uses a setup very much like this.

Mark Rode

At 08:22 PM 3/11/2011, you wrote:
>Interesting thread.
>If it was summarized, we might say that for the vast majority of users,
>you can't use two connections  simultaneously without a whole lot of
>geeky tweaking that's of use only to the most hard-core users.

                     visit our download web page at
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml