C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Sundie Randolph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 May 2009 23:33:26 -0600
John,

And collapsing in a heap in front of her peers doesn't single Mary out? How
scary that must have been for her.I hope I am not speaking out of turn, if
so, just ignore me. Even the most well-intentioned special educators are not
medically qualified to deal with every variation on the special ed theme
that comes up. I would be pretty wary of those who are not willing to follow
a physician's directive on her behalf.

It seems that one of the things Mary most needs to learn is how to tune it
her own body's signals and to communicate them to the degree that she is
able. If no one at school takes her condition seriously enough to take the
medically suggested corrective action after she's collapsed on them, she's
in a scenario that undermines her ability to recognize and validate her own
needs, capabilities, and limitations. If Mary is unable to do this for
herself, then someone in her environment must reliably do it for her. Will
someone at school take that on to your satisfaction? It seems like both
cognitively and physically, they are inadvertently pressuring for more than
she can deliver. That could be hard on her heart, and on her self-esteem.