C-PALSY Archives

Cerebral Palsy List

C-PALSY@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Date:
Tue, 12 May 2009 15:36:09 -0400
Absolutely, Virginia.  I can't recall ever going to the doctor as a kid
just because I had a "bug".  Go get my head stitched up from jumping off
the garage roof?  Yeah, probably, but never for a runny nose.

7-up, chicken soup, slouching in my jammies on my dad's recliner and
watching soap operas (no cartoons during the week back then) was the
bomb when I was under the weather as a kid.  A visit to the doctor back
then also invariably meant a rendezvous with a shot.  Bad juju as far as
I was concerned.  I don't remember missing school more than two days in
a row--you had to be REALLY sick then.

Oddly enough, a relatively minor surgical procedure like a "heel cord
lengthening" meant a couple weeks in the hospital.  Nowadays they load
the kid up with Versed and pour him/her into the car a couple hours
after surgery.  Go figure.

Kyle