From:
Keith Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jan 2010 18:20:02 -0500
Subject:	Re: Art DeVany's book: "The New Evolution Diet"
From: Ken O'Neill <[log in to unmask]>
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2010 21:13:13 -0600

> If you watch my video at: http://www.sebringclinic.com/videos/
> I got into a lot more depth than is reasonable to type into an
> email: ...

Another question, Ken, and it springs from your video chronology of male muscle physique from the 1940s through to the 2000s. At some point the "Iron game" and body building gave birth to an offshoot: exercise to (a) reduce obesity and (b) secondarily, improve health with heart/circulatory health featuring. Your own video does not show the audience, but I get the impression most were there to learn about treating type II diabetes or obesity. This list is heavily populated with posts discussing treatment options for pathologies, with fewer about maintaining existing excellent health. It reaches the stage now where there are three main types of gym-goers and in many gyms there are three corresponding rooms: one for fat reduction, one for body sculpting and 'toning' (these are referred to by users of the third room as "chrome and fern rooms") and the third room for heavy weights and olympic lifting.

This development has led to a tremendous expansion of commercial exploitation of the users of rooms 1 and 2: special foods (especially 'shakes', sports drinks, bars and supplements). Late-night infomercials also round out the sorry story.

When do you reckon this transformation began to bite? What do you think of it?

Incidentally, you mentioned that you pulled out of competitive body building in 1965. That's the year I began weights work.

Keith