From:
Geoffrey Purcell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Dec 2009 05:46:04 -0500
I merely wanted to point out that until recently, it was thought that
Neanderthals in Europe ate only meat from large wild game such as
mammoths - and it was also wrongly suggested, at the time, that the
Neanderthals died out due to this lack of variety when the larger mammals
died out. However, in recent times, it's been pointed out that the
Neanderthals in Europe did in fact have a very varied diet including lots of
seafood and plants and nuts and even small game, not just meat from the
larger land-mammals:-

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/life/human-origins/neanderthals-
diets/index.html

Part of the problem is that plants are invisible in the fossil-record as they so
easily deteriorate by comparison to bones which  fossilise relatively easily, the
result being that there is an exaggerated focus on meat-consumption by
hominids in the Palaeolithic era.

Geoff