From:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lin Goldkrantz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Aug 2009 12:43:42 -0400

This is so easy, a kid can make it. I used Pamela's Baking Mix and adapted a non-gf recipe from a standard cookbook. The recipe needed changes because Pamela's has other ingredients in it, besides flours. ...including nuts and buttermilk, so nut allergy and lactose intolerant folks...you'll have to use something else.  (Be sure to read ingredients in prepackaged flour mixes...they vary.)

I added lemon juice, nutmeg, and much more cinnamon, than the recipe called for, and cut back on baking powder and salt, and did not add my usual handful of nuts...because Pamela's has them in it.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Grease a tube or fluted pan (my fluted pan overflowed a little) or a 9x13 baking pan.

Mix the following in large bowl until everything is incorporated.
  a.. 2 cups of sugar (You'll need a little more for the apples, so don't put your sugar away just yet.)
  b.. 8 large eggs (I use free-range, omega-3, no hormone eggs.)
  c.. 1 cup oil
  d.. 1 and a half tsp vanilla
  e.. salt...recipe calls for 1 half tsp, but I use less, just a few shakes.
  f.. a squirt or two of lemon juice (Maybe it came to a couple of tbs. I used a quarter of a small lemon.)
  g.. 2 tsps baking powder (Cookbook calls for 4 tsps, but Pamela's has baking powder in it.)
  h.. 3 cups Pamela's Baking Mix
  i.. Several generous shakes of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg
Peel and slice (thin) or dice 4 large apples (I'd recommend 5, if you're using a 13x9 pan). Mix with about 3 tablespoons each of sugar and cinnamon (cookbooks says 1tbs cinnamon. I like cinnamon.) Squirt with more lemon juice...also about one quarter of a small lemon...maybe a couple of tbs. Just toss around.

You can either mix the apple mix into the batter and stir, or you can layer the batter in your pan, add apples, then cap with batter. Batter is thick. Give the pan a couple of taps or poke the batter a little, if you're not stirring together, or you'll get large air pockets around the apples, and the cake will fall apart.

My fluted pan overflowed, so you might want to put a piece of aluminum foil on your oven rack under the pan (not on the elements!)

Bake for about 45-55 minutes. If you use a large baking pan, where the batter is thinner, it might take less. Use a toothpick to test for doneness.

If it's a fluted or tube pan, flip over to cool before depanning. Loosen cake from pan before removing. Don't flip a 13x9. (You knew that.)

Serve as is or with ice cream. Can dust with powdered sugar or a sugar/cinnamon mix. I'd say you can get 10-12  slices out of the fluted pan size. Allow for requests for seconds!

*I "failed" to tell my non-celiac company, last night, that they were eating a gluten-free cake, and they went back for seconds and told me the cake is delicious. (This couple didn't pick up on the fact that I ate it too. Usually, that's a dead giveaway.) I still see non-gf people sort of politely picking at our foods but not digging in, almost as if they're afraid it will give them celiac. Hey. It's just rice, tapioca, potato, corn, nuts, etc. ..."NORMAL" food!  Gf foods aren't strange, nor do they all taste yucky. (Unfortunately, some still do!) Eventually, gf will be as culturally accepted as artificial sweeteners. I hope, in our lifetimes.

Anyway. Go buy some apples. Back east, we're coming into apple-picking season. Enjoy.

I have no personal ties to Pamela's. Just happened to be the most convenient thing to use yesterday. And it worked out very well.

For my friends who keep kosher, Pamela's is Kosher/Dairy.