Date:
Wed, 13 Oct 2010 21:47:46 -0700
The internal drive will respond much quicker and be a bit cheaper as it
doesn't need a separate case.
It will also be somewhat more difficult to install and vulnerable to any
mechanical failures that may plague your computer

The external drive is portable and can be turned off to save power.
In either case, you're relying on mechanical drives for backup, and my
experience suggests that's not enough.
Supplement with Optical Media or Cloud backup if your data is important.