ECHURCH-USA Archives

The Electronic Church

ECHURCH-USA@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"j.ireland" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Nov 2003 18:38:59 -0700
Hi Family,

Though none of us find ourselves in super difficulties compared to some of
our brothers and sisters in other parts of the world, I wanted to share this
passage with you.  I love how it is rendered in The Message.  Puts a
different slant and allows thoughtful application.  Maybe it will minister
to you and just maybe you can relate.

2 Corinthians 4:7-9

If you only look at us, you might well miss the brightness. We carry this
precious Message around in the unadorned clay pots of our ordinary lives.
That's to prevent anyone from confusing God's incomparable power with us.
As it is, there's not much chance of that. You know for yourselves that
we're not much to look at. We've been surrounded and battered by troubles,
but we're not demoralized; we're not sure what to do,
but we know that God knows what to do; we've been spiritually terrorized,
but God hasn't left our side; we've been thrown down, but we haven't broken.

And again, in a little more traditional version:
2 Corinthians 4:7-9 (amplified)
However, we possess this precious treasure [the divine Light of the Gospel]
in [frail, human] vessels of earth, that the grandeur and exceeding
greatness of the power may
be shown to be from God and not from ourselves.
We are hedged in (pressed) on every side [troubled and oppressed in every
way], but not cramped or crushed; we suffer embarrassments and are perplexed
and unable to find a way out, but not driven to despair;
We are pursued (persecuted and hard driven), but not deserted [to stand
alone]; we are struck down to the ground, but never struck out and
destroyed;;

As always I've been reading though not writing much.  Also have been praying
for you and the special needs which have been shared.

  Speaking of writing, I am trying to work on a final project for English.
Having trouble with the project because it has to be in a particular format
that's pretty strict.  That aside, it was supposed to be a group project but
since my group dissolved in to thin air, this project has been difficult to
get a good handle on for me.  So if you could pray that I get a God idea on
it and a fresh wind as well as good wisdom, and of course I'd love a good
grade.  And for that, I'd be gradeful; get it?  If grate-full means full of
grates, what ever those are, I'd rather be grade full, full of good grades.
Maybe I better just say I'd be thankful. .  I'm working on getting a more
positive attitude too.  LOL.  Also have to have other interim assignments
completed.  However, I have to have something to show in the morning.  And
that's only less than 12 hours from now.

I think I remember about this time of the semester each semester going
through the student doldrums; ready to have this semester finished with a
good grade and thinking about classes for the next one.  So maybe other
students like Rhonda and Blake could use our prayers too.  Anybody else who
is a student for that matter, just in case I've left anyone out.

While I'm thinking about all this, I also again, am so impressed with the
faithfulness of the God we serve.  Sometimes he does stuff in our lives in
spite of us, not because of us.  That was the case for me recently when he
relieved some major stress in a miraculous way.  A way I don't understand to
this very day.  I only know of the results and know that it could have been
put together by none other than our God.  Perhaps a story for another time.

Work hasn't changed, there are some decisions to be made there.  I hate
living in the State of Wait.  Don't remember that in my geography classes as
being a part of these here United States.  Grin!

You all are the best.

Blessings,
Vicki