Condense Mail Headers

Sender:
Date:
Sun, 29 Mar 2009 14:43:31 EDT

Lots of responses about where my “study  abroad” daughter can eat in
Florence.  Thanks to  everyone for the responses (and I’m forwarding the ones
suggesting that we visit  her while she’s there to my husband…..that was the BEST
idea  yet!).
Here’s a quick summary of the  messages:
    *   You daughter will love it.  I did study abroad there  (pre-Celiac)
but went back recently and was surprised by how easy it was to be  GF there.
Here is a list of tips I put together:
_http://aglutenfreeguide.com/ms-gf-guides-top-10-tips-for-traveling-in-tuscany.html_
(http://aglutenfreeguide.com/ms-gf-guides-top-10-tips-for-traveling-in-tuscany.html)
    *   I think she will have an easier time in  Europe than here.  They seem
to be
further  advanced in the Celiac area. She will need to learn a few  phrases.
    *   I spent 3 weeks in  Italy, and  never  NEVER had a problem!   You can
buy pasta at the Pharmacia.  You can eat extremely, extremely  well.  If you
can get to the big grocery store (you'll have to hunt it  down), you can buy
incredibly lovely corn pasta dirt cheap. The fish, the  meats, the cheeses, the
salamis, the olives, the roasted chickens at the  deli's ---- I'm convinced
celiacs in  Italy actually  live in heaven!  Be careful of ordering decaf
coffee. I learned the hard  way that they supplement it with barley to stretch the
coffee. Stick with the  real stuff.
    *   If you are a "foodie" and money is no object, make a  reservation at
Cibreo before you fly over there.  It's one of the most  amazing dining
experiences you'll ever have.  If that's too dear ($$),  they have a bistro by that
name across the street from the big  restaurant.
    *   Stick with seafood and  risotto.
    *   There is also the Italian Celiac Group - google  (traveling,  Italy,
gluten  free) and you'll find the site which lists places to eat in  Italy.
    *   You can go to just about any  restaurant in Florence, show them  the
Triumph Dining Card, or get some info on the Italian Celiac Society.   (Look
it up on Yahoo ).  I used my card and a letter from the  Celaccia Association.
Every  restaurant we went to recognized what that meant and I received a
wonderful  meal each time.  Most restaurants  have GF pasta and I saw no breaded
food.   Do try the gelato, one each day in a different flavor.  Wonderful!  The
waiter were very accommodating,  and simply took the word" cellaccia" to the
chef and my dinner was good.

    *   My son is leaving for  Italy in a week on a school trip  and we
bought him a
great book called "The Gluten Free Guide to  Italy." It has a list of hotels,

restaurants, trattorias, ice cream shops, food stores, and pharmacies  where
you can get gf food in cities and towns throughout  Italy. The book is 265
pages  long so there are lots of places in  Italy. It was $35 with shipping.
I  got it from the website _www.gfguideitaly.com_
(http://www.gfguideitaly.com/)  .
Bottom line, it looks like all Celiac  folks should take a trip to Florence!
 Thanks  for the responses!  diana
**************Feeling the pinch at the grocery store?  Make meals for Under
$10. (http://food.aol.com/frugal-feasts?ncid=emlcntusfood00000002)