From:
Phil Scovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 20:49:58 -0600
I wonder if it was wide spaced or 11 elements on a short boom.  A shorter
boom has better front to back but a longer wide spaced boom has better
forward gain.  There are lots of guys running 10 elements on 6 meters,
sometimes stacked, and the Japanese are notorious for running 10 elements on
10 meters running their 10 watt license for the beginner hams.

I was listening years ago to the only W6 coming through on 20 meters at the
bottom of a sun spot cycle.  He wasn't very strong but he was the only west
coast station I could copy and I think I was running my 4 element 20 on a 26
foot boom at the time.  Anyhow, the guy was running a home made 10 element
20 meter beam on a 150 foot boom.  No fooling.  He used Rohn 25G tower
sections for the boom itself.  His was wide spaced elements.  I worked a guy
in Illinois once on 20 meters with a 6 inch O D diameter boom 100 feet long
with 10 elements on it, too.  He ran 100 watts and was the loudest signal on
the band.

Phil.