Date:
Sat, 9 May 2009 14:59:00 -0400
It's portable enough if you don't need to take a power supply.  But, if you
want something really portable, the Yaesu FT-897 I think is a hand-held.  But,
the drawback with that rig is you have real marginal performance on the lower
HF bands.  You simply need a great antenna when only using 5 watts.  The
second drawback is there isn't any accessibility features in that model as far
as I  am aware of.

The Icon 703 is a low-powered mobile rig.  It needs a power supply; but does
have some talking capability like frequency readout; it is not as talkative as
the Ts-2000 and the 2000 is not as talkative as the 480, though it is close.
The advantage of the TS-2000 over the TS-480 are all the extra features you
get, built-in TNC, VHF/UHF coverage, the optional 1.2GHZ module, etc.

As with most things, there are a bunch of trade-offs to consider.
Steve, K8Sp