From:
John Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Apr 2009 22:30:32 -0400
the desk mic is a matter of preference, I have a lot of trouble finding one
that sounds real good on all modes, the MC-60A isn't too bad, Heil gold line
is a little more expensive and sounds pretty good on all modes, that needs a
desk stand or boom setup and cables and all, the shure 522 would have to be
wired for it but I'm told that's real good, I have yet to try it. If you're
not trying for real good audio, the MC-60A is good enough and definitely
better than the hand mic.
On power supplies, my theory has always been the matching ones for the
radios aren't worth the money and you probably want to go bigger than
recommended if you can. I've run, as do most hams, the Astron RS-35 power
supply, it's I think 25 amps, 35 serge though I run mine in the serge range
a lot and it's run for the last 12 years straight with no problems as do
many of them. I always say go bigger because the power supply is not like
the radio, that's something you buy once and generally either outgrow it, or
way down the road you finally kill it so you might as well go big so as you
add things to the station you don't have to worry about pushing it's limits.
The RS-35 is enough to last you a very long time generally. The matching
ones will run the radio just fine but nothing extra usually and they're last
I checked double the price of the astron so unless matching accessories are
real important to you, I'd say don't bother. I run the TS-2000, my packet
station, radio and TNC, my 900 MHz radio, GMRS radio, TW1, and a couple
other things all off my astron supply, the only time I ever shut it off is
when I go on vacation for my 2 weeks each summer, other than that, it's on
24/7 because my packet station is, and it just keeps going.