From:
don bishop <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 2009 21:15:46 -0700
Robert,

It's probably mostly in the antenna, although some receivers do seem to
be able to filter out more of the hisss than others.  But, if there's
too much background noise, you probably couldn't hit that repeater
anyway, at least not with a very good signal.

I find the quality of sound from the thf-6 is a bit shart and really
does seem to make the background noise more noticable.

For example, if you get something like one of the kenwood mobile rigs
with a larger internal speaker, you may find the background noise
appears to be less even though it may be actually pretty close to the
same.  It can sound different due to the frequency response in the
receiver and speaker.  I find the speaker on the thf-6 often hard to
understand even without backtround noise.

Don  w6smb