From:
T Behler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Mar 2009 12:53:27 -0400
Hi, all.

I realize that this post might be considered slightly "off topic", so let's
direct responses to me off list.

My private e-mail address is:

Like some others on this list, I'm sure, I've sat through many basic skywarn
training sessions that have been given by my local National Weather Service
office, and during the last one, I was struck with an idea.  Might it be
possible, either through clear verbal descriptions, or through "hands on"
demonstrations, to develop descriptions of various relevant storm features
so that folks like us could understand them?  I'm thinking here of
descriptions of various cloud formations associated with severe
thunderstorms and tornadoes (e.g. funnel clouds, wall clouds, shelf clouds,
roll clouds, mammatus clouds, skud clouds, etc.), and descriptions of what
thunderstorms actually look like in their various stages of development.

All of this grows out of my increasing involvement in what's called "Weather
And Society Integrated Studies", where there is now a very concerted effort
to integrate meteorology with the social sciences.

I have discussed this idea with several meteorologists, and they seem very
interested in helping come up with some ideas.

I have also been given the "go ahead" to prepare an article on the topic for
a news letter called "Weather And Society Watch", with the idea of
publishing the article sometime this Summer.

My question to you folks is this:

Do you think there'd be sufficient interest in the blind community for
something like this?

I have to believe there is, but obviously, I'm only one voice.

If you feel there might be  sufficient interest, and you wouldn't mind being
quoted in such an article, please forward your comments to me.  Again, I
think privately would be the best.

Equally important, if you think this would not be a fruitful thing to
pursue, let me know as well, and I promise I'll read and seriously consider
your comments.

Thanks for reading this post, and I appreciate any input anyone is willing
to provide.

73 from Tom Behler:  KB8TYJ, Big Rapids, MI