From:
Ron Canazzi <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Jan 2009 03:20:20 -0500
Hi Folks,

This is mostly a scam, but there is a grain of truth in it as you will see
from the below article, taken from:
http://www.scambusters.org/cellphonedonotcalllist.html.

Cell Phone Do Not Call List

Question
: Is this a scam or do I need to join the cell phone do not call list?

---Begin Scam Email ---

This just takes a minute and is good for 5 (five) years. You
must call the Do Not Call number from your cell phone.

THE FIRST WEEK OF JANUARY, ALL CELL PHONE NUMBERS ARE BEING
RELEASED TO TELEMARKETING COMPANIES AND YOU WILL START TO
RECEIVE SALES CALLS........YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE
CALLS......

To prevent this, call the following number from your cell
phone: [Phone number deleted] or visit this website: [Website
address deleted]

It is the National DO NOT CALL LIST. It will only takes a
minute of your time and will block your number for 5 years.

---End Scam Email ---

Answer
: Many bogus emails are going around about the cell phone do not call list
right now. It is not a new scam -- in fact, the FTC issued a press release
about
this question on April 15, 2005.

Here are the facts:

- The US federal government does not maintain a national cell phone do not
call list. Cell phone users have always been able to add their personal cell
phone numbers to the National Do Not Call Registry, which is for both land
lines and cell phones.

You can do this by calling toll-free 1-888-382-1222 from the telephone
number you wish to register, or by visiting:

==} http://www.donotcall.gov

- There is no cut-off date or deadline for registration.

- Business-to-business calls are not covered by the Do Not Call Registry.

- Automated dialers, which are standard in the telemarketing industry, are
prohibited from calling cell phone numbers.

- Cell phone numbers are not being released to telemarketing companies on a
specific day.

- However, a consortium of wireless providers is planning to create a
directory assistance (411) services for cell phone numbers, which many
people are
afraid will erode some of the privacy of cell phones. Verizon Wireless, US
Cellular, Sprint and Alltel will not participate if such a directory is
created.
That means at least 45% of all US cell phone numbers would not be included
in a directory.

Proponents of this directory state that it is to be opt-in only, which means
if you do nothing, your cell phone number would not be included.

- Some of these bogus emails have the correct phone number and website
address, but others are phishing scams.

Action: It can't hurt to add your cell phone number to the National Do Not
Call Registry, but this is not necessary to prevent it from being turned
over
to telemarketers, especially by a certain date. If you do add your cell
phone number, go directly to the Do Not Call Registry site or call from your
cell
phone number -- do not click on links which could be phishing scams.